Welcome to Read and Tell It Like It Is

"To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend; to read it for a second time it to meet an old one." - Chinese Saying

Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight


Hello!

The best thing about long weekends: all of the time you can spend reading. I love to procrastinate my homework until the last possible minute so I can enjoy other past times like reading. I just finished a book called The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E Smith. It officially gets published in February of 2012, but because I am part of a special group at school, we get to read advanced reader copies or galleys. Back to the book.

Summary: Hadley Sullivan is a seventeen year old girl who is traveling to England to see her father get remarried. She misses her first flight by four minutes, and then meets a cute boy named Oliver who is on the next flight (the flight she will now be taking) to England. They chat and get to know each other a little, and over the course of a twenty four hour period fall in love.

I give this book a three, because while I enjoyed it, it is a fluffy girly book. If this was made into a movie, I would put it in the same category as 27 Dresses. I love that movie, but again, its fluffy and girly. The main character, Hadley, can sometimes be whiny and an irratating narrator, but I love the plot, and often during the father daughter moments, both past and present, I have teared up. New relationships form, old ones are repaired, this is a story of the heart, and how a girl finds her way home to her own heart. One of my favorite aspects to the whole book is obviously the guy. Oliver is sweet, funny and caring, and just wonderful. He is always looking out for Hadley, trying to distract her when she has her claustrophobic episodes, and makes her feel better. He says to her that she makes him feel better too.

Favorite Quote: "'Right,' he says. 'I feel incredibly safe. When I'm knocked unconscious by my tray table during some sort of emergency landing, I can't wait to see all five-foot-nothing of you carry me out of here.'"

xoxo.
Miss Liz

1 comment:

  1. I, too, enjoyed 27 Dresses. It was a fun movie, but total fluff. I probably won't read this book based on your review. I'm looking for something I can really get into... a book that keeps me from sleeping! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete