Welcome to Read and Tell It Like It Is

"To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend; to read it for a second time it to meet an old one." - Chinese Saying

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Back When You Were Easier to Love

Hello.

Back When You Were Easier To Love  by Emily Wing Smith, is a very sweet romantic book. I love the way Noah is always there for the main character, Joy, and she doesn't even really see it.

Summary: Joy is obsessed with her "boyfriend" who suddenly left with barley a goodbye to her or to anyone else. She thinks that she can't live without him and is determined to go to Pitzer, the college where Zan now goes. Apparently before Zan left, he told Noah, his best friend, to "befriend" Joy. He tries to do this, but Joy is standoffish, and wants no part in it. Then, she has an idea. Why not take Noah with her on her journey? This is exactly what she does. They make a journey to Pitzer, and Joy discovers not only who she is, but who she truly loves.

I think that this is a really sweet, just happy book. I closed the book with a smile on my face. The way the book is written is also a nice change of pace. The chapters are short with little sassy titles. They span from the current times to the past, and Joy shares enough information that the stories of the past are worthwhile, but they are kept short, so your eyes never waver from the page. Noah Talbot is the sweetest most generous boy alive. I saw what he was feeling from the beginning of our journey, and it was a delight to see how the heroine grappled with him, Zan, and their journey, all the while unconsciously finding herself.

I give this book four stars. It was a light read, but extraordinarily delightful, and Noah is definitely one of my book boyfriends (boys in books who I wish would miraculously jump off the page and become my boyfriend.)

My favorite quote of the whole book was "He looks all expectant, eager-to-please, and I know now's the time I could ask him to go on a tour of every public restroom in the vicinity and he'd do it, no questions asked."

The song that this book reminded me of was a song called "It's a Miracle" by Barry Manilow. Joy has an obsession with Barry Manilow in the book, and I thought that this song would be extremely appropriate and I like the song in general.

xoxo.
Miss Reader

1 comment:

  1. I thought you would like this one! You absolutely nail what makes this book successful: it's just such a sweet, happy book. Man, how lame was Zan when they finally found him in Claremont? What a turd! I also appreciated learning a bit about the culture of Mormon towns. Can you imagine going to a high school where the cool guys don't have girlfriends because they are all going on missions when school ends? So different from New England high schools...

    ReplyDelete