Welcome to Read and Tell It Like It Is

"To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend; to read it for a second time it to meet an old one." - Chinese Saying

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Prom and Prejudice

Hello.

This weekend I read Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg, and I think that it is a fairly good book. I probably would give it a three star.

Summary: Prom and Prejudice is a retelling of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Lizzie Bennet is one of the two scholarship students at Longbourn Academy, an all girls school in New York. Prom season is starting and all of the girls are trying to get a date with one of the boys from Longbourn's brother school Pemberley. Jane is Lizzie's room mate and Charles is Jane's sort of boyfriend. Darcy is Charles friend, and slowly he falls in love with Lizzie, except that she doesn't want anything to do with him. There is an interesting twist, Lizzie loves to play the piano, and that is one of her saving graces it seems.

I think that this is a good retelling of Pride and Prejudice, although I think it was a little short and lacked description. Everything went by so quickly that sometimes despite the very straightforward writing style, was sometimes confusing.

I really enjoyed the characters and thought that they were amusing. I think it is an interesting twist how Wick is turned completely into a bad guy, he is the antagonist in the story. I didn't really expect that.

I would peg this as a good summer-beach read. Three stars.

xoxo.
Miss Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment