Welcome to Read and Tell It Like It Is

"To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend; to read it for a second time it to meet an old one." - Chinese Saying

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Quote of the Day - The Host

Hello.


Quote of the day: “That's not true at all,” he disagreed. “It's not the face, but the expressions on it. It's not the voice, but what you say. It's not how you look in that body, but the things you do with it. You are beautiful."

I love this quote from The Host by Stephenie Meyer. It is one of my favorite books and this quote said by Ian, a human, to Wanda, a soul, is so just beautiful and makes me smile every time I read it. I love Ian, he is my favorite character and if I got to choose a man out of a book to marry, honestly I would choose him. He is by far my favorite ever. He is kind, sweet, and is head over heels in love with Wanda, and will do anything to protect her.  Also, I prefer The Host to Twilight, just because of the fact that the characters seem much more realistic, despite that the story is so out there. I forget where I heard the phrase, but someone described it as "the science fiction story for the people who hat science fiction" and I think that this is a ver accurate description.

Quick Summary: I honestly have no idea how to sum up this story so I am going to quote the inside cover: "Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity had succumbed.
When Melanie, one of the few remaining 'wild' humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading 'soul' who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.
Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man she loves -Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain journey to find the man they both love. "

The Host is one of my favorite books of all time, it just warms my heart thinking about it. While reading it, I laughed, cried, smiled, and at times, almost threw the book across the room. I have a soft spot in my literary heart for both Melanie and Wanda, they are both extremely different and in the end, have different hearts. All of the characters from Walter, Ian, Kyle, Jamie, Jared, Jeb, Melanie and Wanda, they each have their own personality that adds funny twists and happy times, as well as the sad times. I thikn this book really shows the relationships between people are the only thing that ends up mattering. The whole world seems to be coming down around them, and because they have each other, everything is better. 
Another thing I love is the preface, its a poem called Question by Mary Swenson.

Question

Body my house
my horse my hound
what will I do
when you are fallen

Where will I sleep
How will I ride
What will I hunt

Where can I go
without my mount
all eager and quick
How will I know
in thicket ahead
is danger or treasure
when Body my good
bright dog is dead

How will it be
to lie in the sky
without roof or door
and wind for an eye

With cloud for shift
how will I hide?

Personally I think that this poem fits the book really well. I give this book a four star. I love story and the character, but the writing style is not my favorite.

Also, a song that reminds me of this book is Home by Vanessa Carlton. I think it's a beautiful song and I also think that the part where it says "With you I am home" is perfect for this book.

xoxo.
Miss Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment